Wednesday, November 4, 2009

In-class timed writing (8 min) - Two memorable stories about the practicum experience

The "AH... I get it!" moment

It happened when I was teaching a math 11 class. I was explaining the standard form of a the most general quadratic function and its graphical representation as a parabola and having a dialogue with the students through looking at equations, having a table of values, and graphing. I demonstrated how different parameters in the equation were responsible in changing the shape of the graph, translating it along the x- or y-axis, and reflecting it about the x-axis. We were doing few examples, going back and forth between the table of values, the equation, and the graph, determining the axis of symmetry, the vertex, the opening direction, the x- and y-intercepts, ... It was at this point where one of the students from the back row yelled with excitement "AH... I get it!". At that moment, I stopped, acknowledged him, and told the whole class, "I love these "Ah ha" moments!


The "Jigsaw activity" for matching compound names and formulas
My SA suggested a jigsaw activity for helping the grade 9 science students in naming and finding chemical names for chemical compounds. I took the 2nd half of a science 9 class to the gym, handed out pieces of cut paper with names either the name or formula of a compound, and asked them to go around the room and find the other student with the corresponding formula or name. Once they found their partner, they were supposed to sit down. At the end, when everyone had found their partners, I went around, picked few students and asked them how they found the matching name or formula. I felt like I had a strong presence and had convinced the students of the significant point of the activity, i.e. not memorizing how many electrons a given element is willing to give or take to form an ionic bond, but to know how the exchange is made and how many atoms of each element were required such that there is a balance of charges at the end, forming a electrically neutral object.

No comments:

Post a Comment