Friday, October 2, 2009

In-class timed writing (6min.) My greatest and worst Math teacher ever

Oct. 2, 2019

A) DrMina, my best Math. teacher:
Without doubt, DrMina was my greatest Math teacher. She is the one who inspiredme to pursue a career in science. She simply made Math make sense. Instead of introducing us to concepts, formulas, and equations, she helped us "discover" them as a class ourselves. We had so much fun! We worked on problems together as a team. She read us excerpts from books on Math, told us stories about "i", "0", the history of Math, and Mathematics behind Music, Sports, ... To be able to relate mathematical concepts to everyday life experiences, to see the beauty in the relationships, to be able to make connects, ..., all helped me appreciate Math. and recognize its importance/relevance. I remember feeling comfortable and at ease in class. Discovering the solution of a puzzle or solving a Math. problem was such fun.


B) DrMina, my worst Math. teacher:
I still remember being bored in her classes. I just didn't want to be in that class. I didn't want to take part in group activities she would have us do. I didn't know what the relevance of what we were being taught was to my future. I didn't really care to learn the material.

Aspirations for my future teaching career:
My aspirations are to be able to reach as many kids as possible. To be able to teach effectively and clearly. I would want to be able to convey the message to them that it doesn't matter whether they'll be pursuing higher education or go into careers in math. science, or technology. That learning math. will help them develop their minds and creativity. That it will help them develop problem solving abilities.

Worries/fear for my future teaching career:
That I would not be able to reach as many kids that I would like. That the education system would not allow me or limit my ability to teach the way I would like to. Another worry is that I would not be a creative teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment